How to know when your roof needs attention
Your roof is your home’s first line of defence against the weather, it has to work harder than any other part of the house to protect the rest of it, so it’s crucial to avoid any problems. Small issues that go unchecked can lead to big, and ultimately expensive, repairs.
Often the first time you’re aware of a problem with your roof is when you see evidence of water coming in. Other signs to look out for are:
- Cracked and / or missing tiles
- Loose pointing to chimney stacks
- Damaged flashings (the covering on joints and angles)
- Evidence of rot to wooden fascias and soffits (the boards that cover the ends of roof rafters)
Perished roof felt is another common cause of problems and tiles may deteriorate with age.
As well as maintaining your roof, guttering should also be kept clear. We recommend doing this once a year. Visit our Handyperson service for help with this.
Seek professional help
It’s very important to have your roof assessed by a professional you can trust to ensure you’re getting the right job done. Sometimes a smaller repair such as repointing the chimney stack or replacing the felt at the roof edge is all that’s needed. However, depending on the condition of your roof more extensive work or a complete roof replacement could be a better solution and prevent more problems further down the line.
Getting the right contractor for the job
When you are asking contractors to quote it’s important to do some research to find the best contractor for the job. Look for reviews or testimonials from other customers who have used them or you can visit the National Federation of Roofing Contractors for a list of approved contractors.
Worried about costs?
An assessment of your roof will help you to determine the best course of action. You should also:
- Check with your insurance company whether your policy might cover any of the costs. If there is storm or water leak damage there may be some assistance available. If it’s just wear and tear however, it’s unlikely they will be able to help.
- Ensure quotations are itemised so you are clear on what is included in the price and that quotations obtained are comparable.
- Ask questions – it’s important that you feel comfortable with and can trust the contractor you choose.
- Check if there are different options according to your budget.
How We Care Improvements can help
We Care are specialists in major housing repairs in the Bristol, Bath, North and North East Somerset, Gloucestershire and South Gloucestershire areas. Plus financial options for roofing works may be available.
If you haven’t had your roof checked for a while or have any concerns about it, please get in touch by:
- Calling us on 0300 323 0700. We are open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.
- Or send us a message and we can get in touch with you.
Let us keep on top of your roof so you don’t have to.