If you support someone who has had falls or who has a fear of falling, you can refer them directly to our Home Safety Assessment and Modification Service service for free home assessment and adaptations.
What does the Home Safety Assessment and Modification Service (HSAM) include?
- A free assessment by a qualified occupational therapist in the person’s home at a time that suits them.
- Recommendations for home adaptations or modifications to reduce fall risks.
- Adaptation work and hazard removal. Our professionals might:
- Fit rails
- Install ramps
- Level thresholds
- Remove trip hazards
- Help with decluttering
- Provide equipment
- Provide handyperson work
- Organise larger repairs and adaptations
- A follow-up telephone call or visit once the works are completed
- Advice, signposting or referral to other services as required.
Who can be referred?
- Has had one or more falls, is at risk of more falls, or has a fear of falling.
- Is likely to benefit from a home environment assessment.
- Owns their own home or is privately renting (work may need landlord’s permission).
- Consents to a referral and wants to engage with the service.
How to refer
To make a referral please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note we also accept self-referrals.
How is this service funded?
People are encouraged to fund their own work if they can, so funds can go to those who can’t afford it themselves.